Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Changes - or Not

The big news of the week/year/decade is that David was offered a job in the long range planning department of the university. He started last Monday and will work part-time until he finishes his degree in May and then will move to full-time. This is a project oriented job that will only last a few years, but that is ok because we don't want to stay here any longer than that.

The position was actually a huge blessing, despite the fact that I have been so anxious to move. I will need to work another 6 months at least after David graduates so I can get retirement and we thought we would have to be apart for that time while he started a new job so this works out wonderfully.

One of his former professors is the main architect at the university and ask the faculty for recommendations for someone to hire. David was the only student the professors recommended. He starts out as a project manager- which is what most architests work years to attain. He gets to design the long-range transportation plan as well as the long-range landscaping plan.

In a down economy when jobs in the building industry are so insecure, this is proof positive that somone else is in charge of our future.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Congratulations, David and Natalie! That is wonderful news, and what great work experience that will be for you, David. It does seem like things just have a way of working out when you're doing all you can, huh? I'm so happy for you two. Merry Christmas!!!

Emma J said...

Good news! Way to go, David - though I'm sure that should be David and Natalie and Maddie and Ethan because I know it's been a whole group effort! You deserve every kind of success coming your way.