Well, he cried a little because he hurt his arm, but then went back outside to play. After about an hour he came inside white as a ghost and started throwing up. That's when we decided to take him to urgent care and get the huge bump on his head checked out. The urgent care sent him to the emergency room to get a ct scan. It showed hemorrhaging and bleeding. The doctor decided that Ethan needed to see a pediatric neurologist right away. So they called in the medical helicopter. I thought that was a little over the top and said so, but felt like an awful mom when the doctor said he really needed to get to another hospital. It was funny though. When the helicopter people came, they walked into the emergency room and looked at David, Maddie, Ethan, and myself and asked who was going on the helicopter- it was difficult to tell. Ethan looked and acted fine. I probably looked worse off than he did- maybe that is why they asked if I wanted to go with him on the helicopter.
Anyway, we got to Tulsa, waited in the emergency room there for over 3 hours. Learned all sorts of ways to put swear words together from a drunk man who had been stabbed. Then a "transport nurse" (no kidding) came to transport Ethan on the 1/2 mile walk to the pediatric wing. After walking the 1/2 mile I learned why the huge hospital has "transport nurses". Any normal person would get lost.
We had a night of the nurses waking Ethan every 45 minutes to check on him. At 6:00 Dr. Hussain came in to talk to me and check on him. The only thing I could understand was something about another doctor coming at 9:00. (I don't think it is a very good idea to send a doctor with a strong accent into the parents who have been awake for 25+ hours and expect any sort of comprehension.)
Finally the neurologist came and said he thought Ethan looked fine- which we all knew- wonder how much we had to pay for that bit of wisdom. He said he wanted one more ct scan to check. Sure enough the scan came out fine. The doctor said that there was still some hemorrhaging and bleeding, but Ethan looked great.
Ethan was so upset when they said we could go home. He had spent the morning ordering whatever he wanted for breakfast and playing the x-box in the hospital room. He thought his day in the hospital was great fun.
1 comment:
Oh my goodness, you poor lady! I'm glad to hear Ethan is alright, and that you survived the ordeal as well. I think things like this are at least as difficult on the parents as on the injured child (especially when the injured child doesn't even want to leave the hospital because he's having such a great time!) What a relief Ethan is okay!
Post a Comment